Jewish Emergency Relief Fund
JCA Announces COVID‐19 Jewish Emergency Relief Fund
2 April 2020
JCA, in partnership with JewishCare, has today launched the COVID‐19 Jewish Emergency Relief Fund to provide assistance to members of our local Jewish community who are in financial crisis as a direct result of the coronavirus pandemic. Initial funding of $1 million has been provided for distribution through JewishCare.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS ASSISTANCE?
- The Fund is designed to help alleviate financial hardship and the associated emotional stress to ensure that no member of our community goes without essentials and a helping hand.
- Assistance is intended for those who face immediate hardship as a result of losing their jobs (or a substantial part of their livelihood) as a consequence of the pandemic.
- Funding will prioritise families with school age children and individuals at risk of homelessness.
- Funding is not available for people in receipt of Government Aged Care Pension or Disability Support Pension, nor does it cover young adults living at home.
HOW WILL THE FUND OPERATE?
HOW CAN I APPLY FOR JEWISH EMERGENCY RELIEF FUNDING?
- Funding will cover essential needs – like food, shelter and medicines and any other critical goods or services not otherwise publicly available – up to a total of $5,000 per family.
- The Fund will operate as a supplement to available government support (not as a substitute).
- Grants will be made at the discretion of JewishCare upon application and subject to a financial assessment (to ensure the money gets to those who truly need it).
- Guidance on how to obtain government support can be accessed via the following links:
Any member of our community experiencing financial hardship as a result of the pandemic, and who is in need of emergency financial assistance, should contact JewishCare via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT OTHER ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE THROUGH JEWISHCARE?
In addition to direct financial support, JewishCare's financial counsellors – with support from its group of pro bono specialist business advisers – can provide a range of related assistance to any community member in financial or personal distress:
- Helping to direct individuals to Government support channels and to assist with any applications to those channels.
- Helping with any negotiations with landlords, banks or other creditors.
- Facilitating longer‐term financial planning.
ABOUT THE FUND
The COVID‐19 Jewish Emergency Relief Fund has been made possible with the generous help of JCA donors and JewishCare. Supporting the vulnerable within our community is an essential Jewish value and we are extremely grateful for their support.
The Fund has been established by JCA in its role as principal fundraiser and planner for our local Jewish community. JCA will continue to ensure that our member organisations are able to meet the needs of our community, particularly during times of crisis. This is what JCA does – it is here to support the community.
If you need assistance or information, call the Jewish Community COVID‐19 Hotline (JEMP) on 1 300 536 728 or visit csgnsw.org.au/alerts
. For a listing of key services immediately available to the community visit jca.org.au/help