The program assists women and children in domestic violence situations, generally by the provision of casework and counselling by professional social workers.
A first priority is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of women and children.
This can involve
- Developing a safety plan to provide a safe living environment
- Counselling and emotional support
- Court support and referral to legal services
- Community education
- Referral to housing services
JewishCare’s Domestic Violence program also includes raising awareness about the prevalence of domestic violence in the Jewish community through early intervention and education.
It is important to realise that Domestic Violence constitutes any form of abusive behaviour that seeks to gain and maintain control over another person’s life.
These behaviours can include
- Physical abuse including sexual abuse or threats
- Psychological and emotional abuse
- Verbal abuse which threatens, degrades or insults people or pets
- Intimidation and harassment
- Social isolation including being stopped from seeing friends and family
- Financial abuse and being forced to live without money
Each November JewishCare hosts a White Ribbon Bay Mens Breakfast which encourages members of the community to confirm their opposition to violence against women.
For Help, Support and Information call:
- Police - 000
- Domestic Violence 24 hour hotline -1800 656 463
- NSW Rape Crisis Centre - 1800 424 017
- Violence Against Women Helpline - 1800 200 526
- Domestic Violence Advocacy Service - 8745 6999
- Law Access Line - 1300 888 529